Sunday, January 11, 2015

Goodnight Friend

Dear Diary,

It's 5:30 in the morning, and I haven't slept in 48 hours.

After pulling an all-nighter to finish my lit paper and working a double at Sunny Side Up, my optimistic attitude New Years resolution has become exponentially more difficult to keep. I just wanted to roll my eyes and flick off the world. But, there's still hope of making friends here. So, when someone walks in to the diner, I spout the required greeting, "How can I sunny up your day today, sir or ma'am?" with a smile.

The unusually balmy day inspired me to go for a walk down Dreamwood Ave when the never-ending shift was done. I wandered into Frank's Bookstore. There was a guy selling a how-to book for making friends. Now, $10.62 dollars poorer, I read the first chapter entitled, "They Can't Be Your Friends If They Don't Know You Exist". Sleep called my name, but the city's buzz about a roof top party tonight to watch the meteor shower seemed like the perfect chance to let people know I exist.

The flu shrunk the party to a get-together, probably good since crowds make me nervous. I met a bunch of my neighbors, and got to know Tyler Jacobs. He seems like a cool guy, and like me, seems to be disappointed by this place. My wish on that first shooting star worked. I think I just made my first friend in this place!

I don't have to work today, so I anticipate a 24 hour hibernation.
Goodnight, or good morning.
Whatever,
Lucia Jayne

1 comment: